At Downsbrook Primary School we are committed to following the highly effective and efficient phonics-based programme, Read Write Inc.
Establishing a genuine love of reading and writing in our youngest children and developing this enthusiasm as they move through school, lies at the very heart of what we do every day.
Phonics activities run alongside exposure to a rich and varied, shared experience of picture books and stories, oral story-telling and retelling of familiar tales.
By using RWInc, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWInc to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts.
- learn to read by sounding out words or using ‘Fred talk’
- learn to read ‘Red Words’ which cannot be sounded out
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions
Click on the link below to listen to the pronunciation of all the sounds your child will learn in Read Write Inc.
Click below to view our handy booklet to help you support your child’s learning of Phonics.